Friday, December 30, 2005

My New Year Resolutions

I have to admit, I am repeating my core resolutions. Every year, I say I am going to lose the weight and it never happens. Not to say I give up after a couple of weeks like most people. I persist for at least 6 months until it is obvious I am getting nowhere. Then I go to a doctor or two who tell me the same thing. There is nothing from the usual tests that is off. No one has ever strayed from the usual tests. And no one has acted concerned that I am extremely unhappy and in pain at over 100 pounds overweight.

This year, I am trying an actual diet. I have avoided them for years since they seem to be excuses for companies to make money off of people's unhappiness and desperation. I am trying the South Beach Diet. It seems the most sensible and it seems to be something that can be followed long-term. I know a few people who have had success and they don't seem brain-washed by the diet like the Atkins people I have known. They also don't act like overzealous converts and tell everyone, "All carbs are bad, please pass the bacon!" My big problem lies in artificial sweeteners. Each one makes me sick in its own special way! People insist that they really don't make me sick, but they really do...nausea and migraines, fun stuff. I am going to try stevia again. It didn't make me sick but it tasted horrid. I have heard that the aftertaste is the result of using too much, so I will try it again.

Wish me luck. When I move to Seattle in February of 2007, I want to be under 200 pounds. I want to have a fresh start, and a fresh attitude. I haven't felt like myself for a very long time. I hope this can give me my old confidence.